Friday, November 13, 2009

{tutorial for paper sunburst mirror}

Hi there...I had a few requests to give a tutorial on the sunburst mirrors.  Well anybody who LOVES convex mirrors, sunbursts & paper crafts are in luck because this is so easy.  I originally thought about making sunburst mirrors out of recycled utensil ends to make Christmas ornaments. When I found out that we were going to use an antique green velvet sofa for the blogger's lounge @ Blissfest I thought about Anthropologie and paper crafts so that is when I came up with combining the convex mirror with paper instead.  Anyway I love the look of the paper with the mirror that I have actually halted my search @ the thrift stores for silverware and will now take the smallest convex mirrors & cut the paper in half to make ornaments for the tree.  Who knows maybe I will hang the leftover sunbursts from Blissfest around the house.




The supplies:  glue of your choice, convex mirror from automotive department (they have a few different sizes & I bought mine from Wal-Mart for about $1.60 a piece) & an old book (I bought an old dictionary from Goodwill).

Now just be sure to not let the old lady @ Blissfest see that you are ripping apart an old book because she might get all disgusted.  I had to assure her that I was actually doing the planet a favor by recycling an old book that was almost falling apart rather than buying new paper...actually I just smiled & didn't say a word:-)



Start rolling the page so that one end will be smaller and one larger.



Should look something like this.  Put a little glue on the end of paper  that you roll to fasten.



Peel the paper off the back of mirror to reveal the sticky adhesive.



Dab the glue on the black plastic where you want to place the rolls.  I found it is best to make a plus sign and then work all of the other paper rolls from there.  Also place roll down so that the back of the top point on paper roll is facing backwards.



Should look something like this.  I then traced a circle on felt  (but you could use any material) and glued it to the back.  If you want to use them as ornaments then make sure to have your ribbon or trim ready so that when you glue the circle onto the back you can place the ribbon down first then glue that circle.



Here's the end result.  I actually love the look of the sunbursts plain but feel free to add glitter & trim.




ENJOY!

May this holiday season be merry & bright, sprinkled with bursts of sunshine (and a little snow on Christmas Day).  Although husband has a very hard time with Christmas in the desert because he claims the holiday isn't quite right without snow.  When we were dating he tried to factor this into the equation with prospects of potentially spending a Christmas in the desert.....I tried not to take offense because that's all I had  known & I had survived just fine.  In fact, I told him that Christmas in the desert was truer because that was more like how it was when Jesus was born.  Hah, I got him:-)  No really pls. snow when we go up north for the holiday, please. 

22 comments:

The Bird's said...

thank you so much for posting this. I am heading to Wal-mart today to gather my supplies. Have a wonderful weekend!! -Kelly

paula said...

these are fabulous. have a lovely weekend.

charm home said...

This is the coolest idea EVER! Thanks for sharing -Cristi

Whitney said...

You are my hero.

~Grace Happens~ said...

you need to have your own shop! i would totally buy these from you. beautiful!

Amy Lou said...

DARLING! I want to make one :)

Judy in Carefree said...

Love the idea. So cute for gifts.

The Frosts said...

THANK YOU! These are so cute and I was hoping you would do a tutorial for them! Great job.

Kelsie said...

oh thank you!! so beautiful! you better believe im going to make some!

nest of posies said...

i think these should be part of your "one day" etsy shop. they are beautiful. love the old looking paper & glitter together.

happy weekend!

Bringing Lady Back said...

This is a fantastic idea!

I'm thinking I'll use colorful construction paper with the little ones and have a family project day.

Thank you!

(Came upon your blog through a comment you made on CuisineNie. I'm enchanted!)

Laura said...

I'm so glad you posted this! Great tutorial!

Annie said...

You are so my crafty girl crush! :) Seriously though, I love these. You have such a talent to make ordinary junk look like extraordinary decor.

Unknown said...

I have a favor to ask. I love your site and enjoy checking back to see what's new! But, being over 40, I find it a tad difficult to read the small font. Would you consider increasing the size for us older gals?? Thanks!!

Marketing Unscrambled, Home edition said...

Thank you for the "how to" of making the sunburst mirror. Newspaper would work well for this if you do not want to take apart a book.

Love the one with silverware.

Have a great day.

Dan and Deanna "Marketing Unscrambled"

Unknown said...

I liked this so much I posted about you today. Hope you don't mind. www.windhula.blogspot.com.
Wonderful project!

Jessica said...

So beautiful! I'm inspired!

Unknown said...

This is really inspiring. I'm soo using this technique in my own home. Thanks for sharing.

Room to Inspire said...

LOVE these - I am putting automotive mirrors on my "buy" list!

Chelsea

Aimee said...

You inspired me!!!
Take a look!
www.heartstringsnpreciousthings.blogspot.com

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, this is really cool! Great job!

Room to Inspire said...

I finally got a chance to make one of these wonderful sunburst mirrors! I am going to post it on my blog tomorrow. Thank you so much for inspiring me!

Chelsea