Friday, December 30, 2011

glitter dipped leather New Year's Eve celebration necklace

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

So I have a love hate relationship with glitter but with all of the New Years celebrations knocking at our door I couldn't help but bust out a little sparkly stuff. You can't tell but the necklaces really do glisten and sparkle in real life.
Anyway I've had some leather scraps for a while that I picked up here at a local discount fabric shop (for those who are local..SAS Fabrics) . Originally I picked the scraps up to make a gift for my husband but that didn't pan out so I decided to put the leather to work by making a statement necklace. As I was making them I had in mind making something that would jazz up a plain shirt for New Year's eve..you know just in case I was the only one who wouldn't be wearing a sequin jumpsuit or something..ha. Speaking of, have you noticed sequin craze 2011 is still going strong..sheesh they are EVERYWHERE???

Anyway I think the project was efficient enough to share just in case someone out there is looking to add a little sparkle to their life.

This is what you will need:

*heavy duty craft glue (Quick Grip is my favorite..throw away that stinky E6000 stuff ASAP)
*scissors
*leather scraps
*glitter (if you aren't into glitter then I would suggest dipping the ends of the leather with a little liquid gold leaf)
*gel glue (I like Martha Stewart)
*wire necklace (I picked mine up at Michaels)

First cut strips of leather to desired length. Next take the heavy duty glue and cover half of the strip then fold the other half over the wire and press. Once you get all of the leather strips all secured then trim the pieces to desired lengths. Next dip the ends in either liquid gold leaf paint or take a nice gel glue and cover the area you would like the glitter to be. Let it dry and then shake of the excess. Lastly wear your new necklace some place that you are bound to have fun.

Speaking of fun...what is this New Year going to hold for each and every one of us? I can't wait to find out. 2011 was a tricky year for me so I am all for a new one. Not that I am wishing it away I am just ready to press forward. And you?

13 comments:

the big "W" said...

Oooh what a great idea. Now I need to find me some leather. I like the idea of using gold leafing as well.

Happy almost New Year!!!

jamie @ [kreyv] said...

Love that! Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

My Interior Life said...

Definitely ready to embrace a new year. And your necklace - fabulous, of course! Where do you come up with this stuff? And you look beautiful in those pics! I need to find some leather scraps. I wanted to make one of those keychain tassels, but I found some on Etsy that I like so I may just cheat and buy one. One of my new year's goals is to simplify.

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

You're so clever. That looks fabulous! I'm ready to press on to 2012 too. Happy New Year!

Rashon Carraway said...

I want to personally say thank you for encouraging me to start my blog.

Do you remember? I have the email and will always hold on to it.

I hope you and your beautiful family enjoy the many perks of life in 2012.


Mr. Goodwill Hunting

Unknown said...

How pretty are you sporting that great necklace?! I love it! Happy New Year!

KiaDesigns said...

Love this! And I just love that sequins and sparkle seem to be really in this year! I have already been bought a sequin skirt (it's amazing) and have been eyeing up more sequin items to add to the collection.

Happy new year!

angela hardison said...

what?! you are awesome. this is cool.

Samantha said...

Totally dig your sparkly DIY necklace.

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

My goodness that looks fabulous with your dress!!

Stacy of KSW said...

these are beyond fabulous! Pinned for all to love :)

Susan said...

This is an awesome motivating article.I am practically satisfied with your great work. sims 4 news's newest expansion, Realm of Magic, brings a lot to the game, including a new occult Sim, a magical realm with a Hogwarts style ...

abo-bder said...



فني
شركة قص اشجار بالرياض